Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Who Is Media?

So I finally got the approval for media credentials for the 2006 Auto Show. I spoke with some dude from Sams Crispe Communications and he clearly didn't feel blogs are a form a "real" media. Even though I'm in my fourth year of publication ('03 - '06), I'm still not real?

This got me thinking as to what qualifies as a media or journalist. As more magazines close (just today one of own kind closed, MPH has ceased), more people are going to the web for car information. And ad dollars are following. Does Dave Thomas (MPH mag) still qualify since his magazine is closed? I'm not picking on Dave, it's just an example. :)

Do our sites qualify for as real media? Should they? If not, why not? They can't possibly worried about too many people coming in to view the cars. I certainly understand the need for diligence when reviewing who comes, but to be made to feel like third class media is rough.

What say you?

4 Comments:

Blogger carscomblogger said...

you have to quantify yourself somehow online or not. The best way to do that is via traffic if you're online, circ if you're print.

Or as a freelancer as I now find myself again, you have to have an assigned story from a publication. this is how it's always been with automotive, music pr etc etc.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Cars! Cars! Cars! said...

Yeah, the always been done thing is of some concern. I'm not saying everyone's equal, but I don't like the tone (not from you Dave) that blogs are qualified.

Crap, I'm not even saying my site should qualify for media access*, but to dismiss blogs in general is lame.

I would rather have them say, "We've looked at your blog and it doesn't qualify for reasons A, B and C."

bob.
*No taking back my pass, NY Auto Show! :)

10:23 AM  
Blogger Big Ford Fan said...

Bob, give em hell!

But if I'm not mistaken, you would qualify because of your work for the other websites you've written for, wouldn't you?

Dave, I wish you luck, it's an unfortunate thing that happened. Especially considering the fantastic job you did on that website. I believe that AutoWeek and Edmunds added blogs to their sites as a direct response to your work at MPH Online. Hell, it's a shame that even though the print magazine is going, that the online entity couldn't survive on it's own. Someone as talented as yourself will be scooped up if they have any brains. Good luck and let us know where you land.

6:06 AM  
Blogger carscomblogger said...

thanks for the kind words guys.
I'm going to guest edit for Jalopnik at the end of the month but that is NOT a full time thing. And it seems Autoblog has offered for me to return to blogging for them. But my future is really up in the air. I like doing my own thing.
www.orangeandteal.com
is something I started last month and I really enjoy.
www.deadlinepublishing.com if you want to keep up with me.

Otherwise I have to see what the job opportunities I've seen pan out before moving on.

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home