Monday, December 05, 2005

What the hell is going on?

When did people start getting so "rude?"
I asked the person that runs emercedesbenz.com to take down the full spy image they had copied from our site and run the snippet as shown below. So all of you know, spy photographers only allow YOUR site to run these images for the fee you pay. Other sites can't run the full image unless they want to pay also. This is how you pay photographers.
I'm just sitting here kind of stunned at what's going on these days. Guess autoblogging isn't as fun as it used to be.

So this is the email exhange:

Dave,

I don't link my readers to other sites based on cropped pictures that
look like garbage. I will, however, be more than happy to remove the
story.

Ashley
eMercedesBenz


On Dec 5, 2005, at 12:31 PM, Thomas, David wrote:

> Ashley,
> I think we've gone over this before, but you can't run full images
> of the spy photos on your site. The photographers do not allow
> reprints. I sized a blog ready snippet and thought I pointed you to
> the site where you could lift it but I guess that didn't come
> through in my message. it's attached.
> Thanks,
> Dave


BTW most forums these days don't even allow the photos to be pasted on the forums, they just allow links to avoid any legal hassles.

2 Comments:

Blogger JD said...

I noticed that post this morning. I was wondering if it was ignorance of etiquette, or an attempt to make some statement.

I don't understand the whole "looks like garbage" comment though. For those who didn't see it, it was pretty blatant.. MPH logo and search bar intact from screenshot. It looked less professional than than the teaser image that Dave usually provides.

Then again what do I know? I do this for fun and have none of my ego wrapped up it... my car is my ego, and I keep trading bigger.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Big Ford Fan said...

Dave, they're wrong that's for sure and you tried to be polite. I know that when I started out, I posted pics like that, and maybe still do. I wasn't aware of copyright agreements. Many of us smaller bloggers aren't professionals, and don't understand about permisions fees.

That doesn't excuse her pissy answer though.

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home