Friday, December 09, 2005

How do you handle hostile comments?

Here's a question for you, how do you handle comments sections and hostile exchanges between commentors? Recently I've posted on a couple of issues that I expected some comments on, surprisingly, my posts on the UAW got fewere comments than I expected and my posts on Ford and the AFA got much more attention than I expected.

I enabled Blogger's Comment Moderation and deleted some of the more hostile comments. I don't like the idea of censoring a comment, but these had gone way off topic, and degraded to personal jabs between two commentors, one of which is a frequent commentor and the other a very rare visitor.

Oh, and just a quick note to Croak, I removed the photo that you had commented on. It was just the first relevant photo I found on Google and not intended to be insensative to Veterans. I don't make a habit of changing things like that, but you were a gentleman in your comment and I was able to figure out how to edit the photo.

Sometimes I regret posting on a subject, but then I feel that it's important to post, even if it's not a popular subject.

Any advice, comments?

6 Comments:

Blogger carscomblogger said...

delete anything that you think reflects poorly on your blog. simple as that. it's yours ite you can monitor it how you wish. so will the weirdos come back? no. do you want them back? no

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Croak said...

Like I said, it wasn't homophobia that made the picture disturbing to me, it was the fact that the flag raising at Iwo Jima (even though staged) is iconic of another struggle and has a lot of significance (and is held in a lot of reverence) to Marines.

Imagine putting a smiley face flag on the WTC rubble, and having it held not by firemen and police, but by Hooters girls. Just not appropriate, no matter how much you may like smiley faces, juggies, and buns.

Had it just been the rainbow flag, I probably would have been fine with it..but the buff bare chested men in the picture sent the same statement as if it were buff, bare chested women in the picture...the sexual overtone, whatever the alignment, just isn't cool.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Big Ford Fan said...

Dave, thanks, I will do that. I am just curious as to what other bloggers think, and what they do or would do in this situation.

Croak, I have been working 12 hour shifts all week, I did a google image search "gay flag", that was the first one on the list.

I have since changed it, in response to what I consider a reasonable concern.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Cars! Cars! Cars! said...

I don't delete the hostile ones. I sorta thing of my Cars! Cars! Cars! blog as an editorial page and the comments are letters to the editor.

I do delete ads... or the ones that I think are ads.

Most of the hostile comments are directly at other posters or crapping on some car company although I do sometimes get the "Jap lover" comment. I leave them because it says more about the poster than it does me.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Big Ford Fan said...

Bob, it's the comments towards other commentors that bother me. I'm not so thin skinned that attacks on me are a problem. It's more that I don't want one pinhead scaring off a commentor that has been a loyal reader, and who makes interesting contributions.

But Moderation seems to be working well enough so far. My concern is that between the word verification and Moderation, I will see fewer comments, but so far, so good.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Cars! Cars! Cars! said...

Joe -

Eh, maybe you're right. I never thought about scaring away regular readers. I never thought I had regular reader :)

But you've now made worried that comments on my blog might be responsible for people not returning... I'll keep a better eye on them.

Except for my Who Owns Who page because there's a crapload of comments and it's all inane stuff like "FoMoCo Rocks" "FoMoCo Sux" "Chevy All The Way" etc.

Thanks.

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home